Dave Arneson Game Day 2021

 


Today is Dave Arneson Game Day! As usual we celebrate this day on Dave's birthday, October 1st as a celebration of Dave's legacy as the D&D co-creator. This year, Dave would have turned 74 years old. This also marks 50 years since the official announcement of Blackmoor!


Its been great seeing people joining in for Blackmoor Week. Every year it has been an amazing celebration of gaming, like it has been every year since we started doing this. I hope that Dave is sitting on a cloud somewhere and that this makes him smile. I met Dave only once and exchanged a few messages with him later on. But my impression from those interactions and from what others who knew him better have told me, is that what was most important to him was that we all had fun with the game he helped create. 

For a long time, Dave Arneson was just a name to me that I saw on the credits of various D&D products I had collected. When I began talking to people online, especially in old school circles I found that people were talking a lot about Gary Gygax and various other game designers from the early days, but very few people talked about Dave Arneson at all. A few people even portrayed Dave as a bad person because he had dared to sue TSR, but most people did not seem to know anything about him.

Gradually I was able to get in touch with fans who knew a little more and later people who knew him and even various members of his own gaming group. Greg Svenson, Bob Meyer, Bill Hoyt, Richard Snider and others were especially important early on. Later I have had the pleasure of talking or emailing with many others. I am afraid to mention names because I am sure I will forget some. I have to say that from my experience, the original Blackmoor players have all been incredibly friendly and helpful. It was also amazing for me to realize that Dave's family were supportive of my work. 

Since I started writing about Blackmoor, back in 2002 it has been an incredible ride. I have learned so much about the early days of our hobby. Dave Arneson's legacy lives on. D&D is more popular than ever. In later years I feel like Dave has gotten much more of the recognition he deserves. The Secrets of Blackmoor documentary did a great job of letting Dave's players tell their story. Jon Peterson and other gaming historians have shared their versions of the story. I hope that I have done my part so far and I plan on doing more in the years to come!

I hope all gamers will enjoy this very special day in the history of our hobby! Remember Dave Arneson and appreciate what we have in this community and the hobby!


-Havard

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Would Arneson Have Liked You to Try New Editions? (Blackmoor Week Monday)

Classic Blackmoor Fan Maps Revisited at the Atlas of Mystara Website (Blackmoor Week Wednesday)